Saturday, September 9, 2017

Red day on Friday... -$83.78

On Friday I ended up being a victim of lack of focus. I had what would wind out to be the 2 hottest stocks on watch but ended up trading neither of them very well. Had I simply decided to zero-in on either one; there's no doubt in my mind I would have made money.

None the less, I ended up trading both $NLNK and $KURA. The first trade I took was a long 100 shares in $NLNK on a 1-minute pullback @ $16.38. Entry was perfect; all I had to do was let the trade work. Price never even came anywhere close to dipping below my entry yet some how I panicked out selling for 11 cents profit literally just before the stock exploded 3 points higher! Big  miss!

So after botching up that trade and being forced to simply both $NLNK and $KURA rip higher as neither presented any low risk entries. I somehow convinced myself that $KURA was over extended and started looking for a short entry. When stock started looking like it wanted to roll over; I got short 100 shares @ $12.90 with a stop @ $13.25. It started working at first then started squeezing up; so I decided to take it off @ $13.10 instead of waiting for it to hit my initial stop. 

After seeing no follow through on the pop; I decided to give it a second crack and got back in short 100 @ $12.85. Once again I ended up taking the trade off for a small loss this time @ $13.00. Frustrated I decided to shut it down for the day and actually did which was the right thing to do.

However, for some reason or other, I ended up logging back in to my platform and looked back at $KURA once again. The stock was simply not cracking and starting to bounce off the 9-ema on the 5-minute chart. So my thinking was that this stock looks like its wants to re-test HOD and possibly $14. So I bought 100 shares @ $13.00 with the intention of selling around $14.00 for a quick $100 profit to end the day slightly green. Once again I ended up stopping for a 15 cents loss before finally throwing in the towel. 

LESSON LEARNED: I need to narrow my focus to a single stock at the open. At the moment I am only able to trade from a single 13" laptop screen and have limited screen real estate. So I am only able to look at one chart/one stock at a time. As a consequence of this I have to keep  switching back and forth between tickers and this is causing me to miss set-ups/entries. So to solve this problem; I have to pick one stock by at least the first minute or two after the open if I'm not able to earlier to focus on nailing. Can't be worried about missing moves in other stocks as its better to  nail a mediocre move than poorly trade several stocks that all made big moves as was the case for me on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

MY DAY TRADING RULES

I will ONLY put stocks BREAKING OUT OF DAILY CONSOLIDATIONS TO NEW HIGHS OR NEW LOWS ON HIGH RELATIVE VOLUME from my DAY TRADING SCAN into m...